Hi, I’m Dawn, welcome to my private Psychotherapy Service, in Bushey and Tring, Hertfordshire.
One of the most fulfilling life experiences we can have is one of the simplest; to fully be ourselves. My passion is helping people flourish.
Everything we need is within, but life experiences can condition and distort our core perceptions and beliefs. You may feel unhappy, stuck, powerless, lost, or that something is missing. You may feel like you are going round in circles or you are not where you want to be.
Psychotherapy is an invaluable tool in Self-Help, Self-Awareness, Empowerment and Actualisation. It is a rite of passage of self-discovery and conscious knowing, from which you can realise your truth, worth, wisdom, resilience and independence.
Together we work proactively, using talking and creative techniques, to uncover and transform what is helping and hindering at your deepest levels. We resolve root issues, re-establish inner security and integrate your true nature, enabling your innate wellbeing, integrity, resource, meaning and purpose. You feel whole, able and have choices in who and how you live your life.
Be free to be all that you are and can be!
I look forward to working with you.
We are more able to explore, express and understand who and how we are fully by engaging all of our senses (mind, body, emotion, intuition, energy, spirit/soul) and aspects of ourselves (culture, society, ancestry) through the multisensory tools of creativity.
Using creative means we bridge our Conscious (the known, physical, sensate, seen) with the Unconscious (the unknown, ether, invisible, energetic, Transpersonal, Source) to integrate a more whole, lasting transformation.
Writing and Journaling
Writing and journaling is a must in this work. This simple tool enables an outward expression of all we are experiencing within. It is an outlet which enables release and space inside. It gives us distance to help make sense of ourselves and situations. It can be our counsel and guidance, all derived from our own innate wisdom. The experience itself is healing, cathartic, empowering and enhancing.
This is the world of Symbology, imagery, nuances, the Shadow, potentials, qualities, Archetypes, the Divine, Soul, Spirit, Alchemy, the Elements, myths, dreams, visions, stories, fairytales. Various techniques include guided or open imagery, bodywork, breath and sound, movement and postures, Role-Play, Chair Work, energy, inheritance and ancestral work, dream work, visualisation and meditation. Through experimentation, imagination and acting out, emotional complexes are brought into the present, providing insight and empathy and enabling them to be worked through and released.
I use Sandplay with all ages. It is a deeply powerful, self-healing, stand-alone as well as integrative, real hands-on method of therapy. It is both a metaphysical and deeply present, grounded, contained, secure experience. It is a three-dimensional visceral and visual transformative process. The sand stimulates the pads of the fingertips, which link directly to the emotional ‘Limbic System’ (Siegel, 1999), bypassing the rational logic of the mind, enabling a direct connection to underlying feeling and experience. Sandplay is often a silent activity in which the therapist contains and witnesses. There is no right or wrong. It is a tool for self-expression and discovery and we are all unique.
Art and Craft
Drawing, painting and creating using various materials including crafts, clay, plasticine, water is another means to visually and physically represent our experiences and feelings. This is helpful when things may be difficult to name or express cognitively, or even be unknown other than a sense, a shape, a mark.
I use play therapy with younger children. The space is a contained, managed, safe space in which the child can self-heal. Through trust, consistency and relationship, the child is free to explore, communicate, process and make sense of their thoughts, feelings and situations. Mostly this is experienced via metaphor and symbolism in play, storytelling, creating and crafting. Play itself is a natural component of healthy child development, enabling self-awareness, discovery and mastery of skills and social values. The therapeutic relationship, like with adults, provides an experience to work through and integrate developmental stages for healthy separation and individuation.
Flourish: Self Awareness
Self Awareness – The Key to Fulfilled Living
Are you living the life you want?
Do you know you have choice and influence over circumstance? Read More..
An experiential weekend workshop.
Using creative techniques we focus on how to be with and help your children flourish through proactive parenting Read More..
Braving The Elements
Raising our self-awareness promotes insight into who we truly are, how we relate to others and the world around us. Read More..
The Changing Room
66-70 High Street
My hours of work are:
Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 6.00 pm
Fees & Contract
• Sessions are held weekly, at an allotted time, for 50 minutes.
• The session fee is £80, payable by cash, cheque or online transfer prior to/on the day of the session.
• Cancellation notice is 48 hours from the time of the session, for Monday and Tuesday appointments, by 12 midday Saturday, otherwise the full fee is charged. Where possible, sessions can be rearranged, please ask.
• Please provide as much notice as possible for holidays.
• You will gain the most from this experience by regular attendance, being open and curious and working with the process outside of the sessions.
• Sessions are confidential, shared only between client, therapist and clinical supervisor.
• UKCP Safeguarding procedures are adhered to. Details here
• Confidentiality will be broken if there is risk of danger to the client or anyone else disclosed.
• Breaks in confidentiality, where possible, are discussed with clients first, unless this puts the client or anyone else at risk.
• Confidentiality will be broken without consent if relating to terrorism or drug money laundering.
• Permission needs to be gained from the child for information to be shared see: NSPCC Gillick Competancy
• Themes, not content, of children’s sessions may be shared with parents/school to facilitate the process
• Meetings with a qualified Supervisor are attended monthly to discuss best practice. Client confidentiality is maintained.
• Brief written session notes are kept with no personally identifiable details and stored in a locked cabinet.
• Personal information is kept separately and stored securely.
• In line with legal requirements, adult records are kept for a minimum of 7 years after the last appointment.
• Children’s records are kept for 7 years after they reach the age of maturity (i.e. 18).
• Clients have rights to see the written notes, please do not hesitate to ask.
I have always been a “people person” and am in awe of our natural world and our connection with it.
The passion and inspiration for my work stems from my own journey and life experiences. I know the courage, pain and vulnerability it takes to go through the struggles and the reward, of liberation and fulfilment, that truly finding yourself and the life you love, brings.
I began my own therapy in 1998 and started training in Counselling and Psychotherapy in January 2002, at CCPE (www.ccpe.org.uk). I graduated in October 2007 as a Transpersonal and Integrative Child, Adolescent and Family Psychotherapist.
Since 2002, I have been privileged to work privately with people of all ages. I held placements at The Peace Hospice, Age Concern, Place-2-Be, Signpost and CAMHS. For 7 years I facilitated at Gestalt Weekends for CCPE Diploma Students and was part of a Constellation Therapy group for over 2 years. From 2008-2010 I also ran multi-sensory musical groups with Hartbeeps, for parents and their babies through to preschool children.
My work derives from a broad depth of Psychotherapy and Counselling, Developmental Psychology, Mindfulness, Spirituality, Nature, Body and Energy work. In November 2017 I started training in Shamanic Energy Medicine and Soul Coaching.
I am so grateful for all the teachers and inspirational people in my life and the most precious having been my daughter, born in 2010. I would not be who or where I am without her.
I am constantly exploring Self-Actualisation; how we can manifest fully, “Heaven on Earth”, being all that we intrinsically and divinely are.
I feel blessed to do the work I do and support so many courageous and inspirational people in their journeys of transformation and realisation.
• 2009 City & Guilds Level Three Award in Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector
• 2007 Masters in Integrative & Transpersonal Child, Adolescent & Family Therapy
• 2007 Diploma in Sandplay Studies
• 2006 Four years Diploma training in Transpersonal Counselling & Psychotherapy
• 2002 Certificate in Fundamentals of Counselling & Psychotherapy
• UKCP Registered
• Trained at CCPE
“All my life I have realised that all the people that you know they come into your life for a specific purpose. Your purpose has been to awake me to my new life, my real life. Thank you so much for all your help!”
” … Our daughter has flourished with your care and your help and it is with great pride that we now watch her as she completes her primary years and embarks on the next stage of her life. Thank you, thank you – you are a credit to your profession and I cannot put in to words how highly I would recommend you …”
Sarah Pimm & 11 year old daughter
more testimonials here
Some articles you may find useful.
Register here for information, Newsletters and Workshops
You can contact me by telephone on 07786 962 952 (please leave a message or text if unavailable or out of hours and I will get back to you as soon as possible). Or submit the form below and I will contact you as soon as possible.